Internal Auditor (New York City)
: NY-New York City
Teach For America seeks an Internal Auditor to implement an internal compliance program to ensure the existence of adequate internal controls, provide risk assessments and make recommendations to ensure a working system of checks and balances as required by GAAP, and state and federal audit standards. This position will report directly to the chairman of the Audit Committee and to Vice President of Accounting and Controls.
The Finance and Administration team ensures that Teach For America has the financial and administrative capabilities to support our rapid organizational growth and enables us to meet our short- and long-term goals. The team oversees all financial matters, including accounting operations, planning and analysis, grants and contracts administration, and payroll processes. The team also manages all facilities, real estate strategy, and purchasing initiatives for the organization.
Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
· Conducts financial, compliance and operational audits and other duties as requested by VP of Accounting and Controls and/or the Audit Committee of the Board.
· Examines the effectiveness of various finance processes and procedures of internal controls and makes written recommendations for improvement and reorganization as needed
· Identifies deficiencies and compliance issues of accounting Policies and Procedures Documentation and researches issues and makes recommendations to improve them accordingly.
· Ensures that a working system of internal checks and balances is in place for the organization's financial functions including, but not limited to, the monitoring of signatory approval for time sheets, segregation of duties involving financial transactions such as collecting, receipting, and disbursement of funds and the appropriate documentation of financial transactions.
· Perform on-site audits of financial transactions of various Institute and Regional sites throughout the United States.
· Reviews grant programs periodically to ensure that all fiscal requirements are met and that all parties perform their financial obligations under the grant.
· Assists in the preparation of audit schedules, annual reports, financial statements, and federal and state reporting.
· Follows up on the status of corrective action plans for audit issues that have been identified
Candidate Profile and Experience Prerequisites
· Bachelors degree in Accounting or Finance
· CPA or CIA preferred
· 7-12 years experience in finance or business
· 3 - 5 years experience with a public accounting firm or performing internal audit function
· Knowledge of Microsoft Excel and Word
· Strong project management skills
· Strong GAAP and FASB understanding
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills
· Superior analytical and problem solving skills
· Ability to work with various levels of professionals
· Not-for-profit industry accounting knowledge is required
Benefits and Salary
Salary for this position is competitive and depends on prior experience. In addition, a comprehensive benefits package is included.
Anti-Discrimination Policy and Commitment to Diversity
Teach For America seeks individuals of all ethnic and racial backgrounds to apply for this position. We are committed to maximizing the diversity of our organization, as we want to engage all those who can contribute to this effort.
Application Requirements and Process
Please submit your resume and a one-page cover letter with your application. The application deadline for this role is January 31, 2010. Interviews for this position will be scheduled starting in February. All application received after January 31st will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
To apply directly to this job, please use the following address http://teachforamerica.taleo.net/careersection/01/jobdetail.ftl?&job=10270
Comments are closed for this blog post