Hispanic professional society & diversity job fairs at NSHP.org

Unemployment in the U.S. is at its highest since the mid-80’s, college graduates are struggling to find jobs in their respective fields, and the so-called ‘American Dream’ is slipping farther out of reach. Yet, there are 3.2 million available jobs in this country in the STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math) fields. Right now. Today. This moment.

Moreover, according to the Georgetown University Center on Education and the Workforce, 63% of those with only associate’s degrees in STEM earn more than those with bachelor’s degrees in non-STEM occupations. In addition, 47% of those with bachelor’s degrees in STEM occupations earn more than Ph.D.s in non-STEM occupations. Also, there is a much smaller salary gap between men and women in STEM fields than in other occupations. Nevertheless, 3.2 million STEM jobs go unfilled because there are not the qualified applicants to fill them.

Click here for more

Source:  Forbes

Author:  James Marshall Crotty

Views: 181

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ricardo, thank you for sharing this. I'm puzzled about our failure--across the board--in getting students interested in STEM. There's a missing link somewhere. Using myself as an example, I spent summers as a child dissecting my grandmother's flowers with a paring knife from the kitchen, studying the stars, collecting sea shells, and scouring the fields for geodes. I got good grades in high school biology. I would have been the perfect candidate to steer toward STEM. But no one noticed me. Was it because I was Hispanic? I don't know. Now, at 67 years old, I have stacks of books on anthropology, archaeology, marine science, and ornithology. I've been a docent in two very large museums. I still collect rocks and sea shells although I've given up collecting insects...can't bear to kill them. Where did I go wrong? Where did the educational system go wrong? Where do the parents go wrong? I add this last question because I failed to get my own child interested in science. She collected rocks, sea shells, and insects but at about eleven she was done. Why? She was a bright kid, courted by John Hopkins, and yet she wanted none of it. She got a history degree. Why, why, why? Janelle Meraz Hooper

I

I think I can tell you why, 2 reasons mainly;

1. We as Hispanics still don’t know how to prepare ourselves in our college resume building years to get noticed by colleges so we can get in the core STEM schools.  This statement is true for our children as well. We see countless bright Hispanic students fizzle out into mediocrity due to lack of knowledge of how the educational system works in the states. If they only had more information on what the schools are lloking for and how to put that into their resumes I guarantee we would see a change in the numbers.
  2. We as Hispanics don’t have the knowledge and much less the skills to know how the financial system works in the states. We are far too dependent on our weekly paycheck and don’t know how to save our money nor how to protect what we have fought tooth and nail for mainly our homes and business. Due to this we see ourselves as the group hardest hit by the recession.

All this affects our ability to pay for the good schools.

John Acevedo

RSS

About NSHP

With 25,000+ members, the National Society for Hispanic Professionals is the top US networking association for Hispanic professionals. It's free to join and this is a great place for you to connect with new people who share your interests, BUT it's not for selling or promoting your business. Join us today and ask here if in doubt about our policy.

Bilingual jobs

With 25,000+ members, the National Society for Hispanic Professionals is the top US networking association for Hispanic professionals.

Badge

Loading…

© 2020   Created by NSHP admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service