Hispanic professional society & diversity job fairs at NSHP.org

In a recent article by Leslie Stevens, ERE explores the challenges the US Census Bureau faces in hiring diverse census employees.. Here are highlights from the article. (Italicized text is a directly quoted.)

The 2010 Census recruiting campaign launched this week with a new website and recruiting videos that target a diverse workforce, along with a toll-free jobs line (866-861-2010) that provides information to interested applicants in English and Spanish. Callers are automatically routed to the appropriate local office, where they speak with a recruiter. One hundred fifty offices are already open to take applicant calls and a personal, localized touch is part of the recruiting strategy — so the bureau chose not to have applicants apply online.

The bureau is expecting to hire more than 1 million workers who will most likely be older and more ethnically diverse than workers for the 2000 census. This is due to demographic shifts in population since 2000. The bureau maintains a goal of hiring contingent workers that reflect the local community.

The bureau expects that the Hispanic population will grow from 35.6 million in 2000 to 47.8 million in 2010.

Census Bureau leaders say there’s no magic bullet for meeting the recruiting numbers and the diversity goals, so recruiters from local census offices will be out in force at churches, community centers, and schools. But given the aging population, the Bureau has also taken steps to tap pools of retirees and a diverse applicant base.

Read the entire article Who's Counting on ERE.net: http://www.ere.net/2008/10/04/whos-counting/

Have you ever worked for the census? Would you consider it?

Views: 67

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I worked for the Census when I was in highschool. I think it was 1980. My mom was a supervisor of a department and she hired me. I think minimum wage in So., CA was around $3.00/hour. I remember how much 20 bones would buy back then.
Wow what a change! Today an hours worth of work wouldn't even get you close to buying a gallon of milk!
"Wow what a change! Today an hours worth of work wouldn't even get you close to buying a gallon of milk!"

LOL! Nor will it buy a gallon of gas in CA.

RSS

About NSHP

With 25,000+ members, the National Society for Hispanic Professionals is the top US networking association for Hispanic professionals. It's free to join and this is a great place for you to connect with new people who share your interests, BUT it's not for selling or promoting your business. Join us today and ask here if in doubt about our policy.

Bilingual jobs

With 25,000+ members, the National Society for Hispanic Professionals is the top US networking association for Hispanic professionals.

Badge

Loading…

© 2021   Created by NSHP admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service